Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
The knowledgeable and approachable staff in our PALS offices provide a friendly confidential advisory service for patients, carers and staff who wish to discuss any comments, concerns or compliments about their care. They can also access up-to-date information from a wide variety of reputable sources, offering a seamless service in assisting with referrals to other departments or healthcare organisations.
You can call into the PALS office in Main Reception at King’s Mill or Newark hospitals. Alternatively you can contact a team member by telephone, email or via our onsite PALS internal post boxes:
• PALS at King’s Mill Hospital
Telephone 01623 672222
(out of hours answer phone)
• PALS at Newark Hospital
Telephone 01636 685692
(out of hours answer phone)
What can PALS do for you?
• Listen to your comments, concerns or compliments
• Liaise with hospital staff at all levels to resolve any concerns relating to an individual’s care
• Liaise with hospital staff at all levels to implement any improvements deemed necessary as a result of a PALS enquiry
• Inform hospital staff at all levels of any comments or compliments received about an individual’s care
• Keep you informed of the outcome of your contact/enquiry
• The PALS team always adheres to patient confidentiality, data protection and patient consent policies.
When can you expect a response?
• PALS will respond to any telephone messages or emails within two working days
• For simple enquiries, eg information relating to car parking, you can expect to receive an immediate answer or a response within two working days at the most
• For relatively simple enquiries, eg change of appointment, you will receive a response within five working days
• For more complicated enquiries, eg concerns about a patient’s care, diagnosis or treatment, a response will be provided within 10 working days
• If you wish PALS to handle a complicated enquiry that they have recommend is dealt with via the formal complaints process, then a response will be provided within an agreed time frame.
What information will PALS record?
The Patient Advice and Liaison Service records all its enquiries on a confidential database. This data is only used for the purpose of resolving the enquiry within Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Data is only ever passed on to a third party outside the Trust upon the request of the client, which is normally to another NHS organisation to assist with the client’s enquiry. In some instances this may be to a third party voluntary organisation or the Adult Social Care & Health Department, again upon the request of the client.
The Patient Advice and Liaison Service team at both King’s Mill and Newark Hospital maintain the database.
The following personal information will be recorded for all enquiries:
• Client's name
• Client's telephone number
• Client's home address
• Patient's date of birth
• Patient's hospital number (if known)
• Patient's home address
If a client so wishes, they may request that their enquiry be recorded from an anonymous source.
The following additional information will also be recorded:
• Details of the enquiry, including relevant dates
• Division and speciality involved
• Subject category
• Grade of enquiry
• Dates of any relevant appointments or stays in hospital
• Names of any individuals involved
• Details of action taken to resolve the enquiry
• Name of PALS team member who handled the enquiry
• Date the enquiry was raised and resolved