Sherwood Forest Hospitals Pre-registration Pharmacist training programme
Our training programme is designed to increase the trainees’ professional responsibility in a gradual and progressive manner, so that by the end of the year they are capable of safely and efficiently running their own ward.
The year consists of rotations through various pharmacy departments with in-house work based assessments and a structured ward programme consisting of a core clinical skills workbook, pharmacist / technician shadowing and supervised working on wards.
We also aim to develop the trainees’ skills including team working, communication between different staff groups, effective prioritisation and attention to detail.
We also include:
- A senior pharmacist as your pre-registration tutor and regular 1:1 meetings to aid your development
- Audit projects as required by the GPhC
- Experience of specialist pharmacist roles on consultant led wards rounds, MDT meetings and pharmacist led clinics, such as: TPN round, Microbiology round and anticoagulation clinic
- Links with a local chain of community pharmacy’s to provide well-structured cross sector placements for our trainees
- Experience and in house validation within our QC department
- Support from the department in preparing for your pre-registration exam.
- Time out to participate in monthly Clinical tutorials at NUH with local pre-registration pharmacists.
- Regional study days, provided at DMU
Our pre-registration pharmacist training plan, which is submitted to the GPhC and includes sample rota of the year, external education rota and other further information which may be of use. To see an example of our training plan, click here.